Under the general direction of the President. Responsible for carrying out policies as directed by the President including interacting with community, city, state and federal representatives and agencies; communications with residents, local officials, and the general public relative to real estate initiatives; and forming and maintaining partnerships vital to FWHS affordable housing mission. The Deputy Director may assume all duties of the President when she is absent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position.
This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists the President with preparation of action, consent and information items for presentation to the Board Coordinates and implements policies for development and operation as approved by the Board.
- Develops objectives, organizes plans, establishes performance standards and creates controls to ensure the Department operates efficiently and meets resident health, safety and general welfare needs and goals.
- Support the President in formulating and implementing policy for the management process of the FWHS.
- Prepares and approves correspondence of a complex nature. Requires technical competence in the preparation of agenda items including formal resolutions, a broad knowledge of source materials, and the ability to advise officials of the appropriateness of proposed actions.
- Represents FWHS to the public and coordinates with governmental official, agencies, organizations and others as they relate to planning and redevelopment initiatives.
- Maintains an awareness of and provides input as appropriate for State and Federal legislation affecting low-income housing programs for citizens of Fort Worth.
- Responsible for business strategy and planning to ensure appropriate resources are available to respond to public inquiries/issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral competencies:
Business Acumen: Understand agency/business core competencies, demonstrates knowledge of the organization and
industry and aligns work with strategic goals.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information
clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions
of others; and listens effectively. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification;
negotiates contract terms; and responds well to questions.
Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively creating work that is generally error free; edits work for spelling
and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; possess ability to simplify complex information.
Analytical: Simplifies diverse information; collects and researches data; exercises sound judgment and decision making;
and uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; and works diligently to achieve goals; strives for results and success;
conveys a sense of urgency when needed, and brings issues to closure; and persists despite of obstacles or opposition.
Customer Service: Strong interpersonal skills to include effective oral and written communication skills. Identifies, understands,
monitors, and measures the needs of internal and external customers. Recognizes working colleagues as customers; solicits and
applies customer feedback (internal and external) and responds accordingly to the needs of customers.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible
for one’s own work; and complies with applicable job-related local, state, and federal regulations and FWHS policies and
Teamwork and Collaboration: Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships and effective communication
with FWHS employees, Board members, and residents; collaborates with peers and staff; meets professional obligations
through efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines and honoring schedules; and is cooperative in accepting
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational and personal skills.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the housing industry;
- Proven track record of building and maintaining industry contacts;
- Thorough knowledge of the workings of local, state and federal government;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales;
- Proficient in use of standard office applications;
- Integrity and discretion;
- Good understanding of social media;
- Good working knowledge of the Texas Open Records Act and Freedom of Information Act;
- Experience working with Executive level staff and presiding Board members with diplomacy and professionalism;
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field from an accredited college or university and five or more years’ progressive more complex/responsible administrative experience or a combination of education and experience. 5+ years of experience in strategic public relations communications. 5+ years of experience in public housing or regulatory agency, or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Employee must possess a valid Texas driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the FWHS’s fleet auto insurance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have above average abilities using computer Microsoft software such as MS Word, Outlook, and Excel and should be capable of using internet resources for research and developing reports. Possess a working knowledge of Adobe graphic design programs and have a solid understanding of the print production process. Ability to learn other computer software programs as required by assigned tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. While the work is primarily sedentary, excessive walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items such as books, binders, files, and documents is required. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
AN APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT CAN BE DOWNLOADED VIA THE WEBSITE: www.fwhs.org or sent via fax to The Human Resources confidential fax at 817-333-3538 OR 817-333-3595.
FWHS will not accept resumes in lieu of a completed application. Please mail your application or email it to either Carmen Wesley - firstname.lastname@example.org, or Autumn Smith - email@example.com.
Fort Worth Housing Solutions
1201 East 13th Street