Responsible for maintaining, monitoring and coordinating utilization of the Houston Housing Authority’s computer resources. Reports to the Director of Information Technology.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Install and configure various applications on computers as required.
- Provide setup and configuration of computing peripherals such as printers, CD and DVD read/writers, monitors, scanners, mice, special keyboards and other equipment as necessary.
- Troubleshoot computer and peripheral issues and provides hardware replacement, cleaning or repair as needed.
- Maintain compliance with software licensing and inventory.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level including installing and upgrading software, implementing file backups and configuration of systems and applications.
- Answer and respond to Help Desk calls and logs name, department, contact and issue(s).
- Perform post-resolution and follow-up to Help Desk calls.
- Perform basic network maintenance functions such as user creation and assignment of rights and permissions. Should be familiar with DHCP, DNS, IP, network traffic routing, WAN, LAN and internet connectivity. Some knowledge of remote access and VPNs.
- Work closely with both technical and non-technical employees and is required to communicate effectively with both.
- Perform research on technical computer topics as request by Director of Information Technology.
- Provide hands-on assistance and troubleshoots all phone equipment failures and service issues.
- Provide training and technical expertise on usage of phone equipment and the voice mail system.
- Locate and analyze problems with customers' inside lines, track down the source of the trouble by connecting a test set to the phone line and then testing the line.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the Houston Housing Authority and its daily business operations.
- Knowledge of various computing environments, including server, mini and personal computer, and network hardware and software.
- Ability to respect the privacy of employees and maintain confidentially of Houston Housing Authority data.
- Ability to prioritize and schedule work duties.
- Ability to analyze and recommend solutions to complex computer systems or related problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deal tactfully, effectively and equitably with people.
- Ability to lift and move computer terminals and peripheral equipment.
- Possess analytical skills.
- Interface well with others and able to interact with all levels of business users and management.
- Innovative, dedicated team player who can interact with all levels of users.
- Follows directions and procedures.
COMPLEXITY / SCOPE OF WORK
- The employee performs a moderate number of routine; and generally related tasks.
- The course of action is determined by established procedures, the supervisor, or the employee.
- Tasks frequently have to be coordinated, integrated, and/or prioritized.
- Some computer applications may be difficult to accomplish and require resourcefulness and extra effort by the employee.
- Decisions regarding unusual circumstances may be made by the employee.
- The employee's work affects the Houston Housing Authority's housing programs and its residents.
- Successful accomplishment of duties by the employee can enhance the Houston Housing Authority's ability to provide housing that is decent, safe and sanitary and adequate services for its residents.
- The employee refers to Houston Housing Authority and HUD guidelines and to application manuals in performing work. These guidelines cover most job-related situations although the employee frequently is required to use independent judgment in making decisions. If guidelines do not cover a situation, the employee consults the supervisor or makes a decision based on the circumstances.
- The employee receives instructions from the Director of Information Technology.
- Courses of action, deadlines, and priorities are established by procedures, the supervisor, or the employee, depending on the assignment.
- Routine duties are initiated and completed by the employee without supervisory direction.
- Instructions to the employee may be general or specific in nature.
- Complex problems or situations not covered by instructions are usually referred to the supervisor for concurrence.
- The employee's work is reviewed occasionally for accuracy, completion, and compliance with policies and procedures.
- The employee has no supervisory responsibilities.
- The employee has contact with Houston Housing Authority employees at all levels and with various categories of persons including; Software Support vendors, Service Engineers and Hardware vendors.
- Contacts are made to verify, give, obtain or clarify, provide information; coordinate, advise, or resolve computer related problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- May experience prolonged periods of sitting at a computer screen.
- Work is principally sedentary, but may involve some physical exertion, such as kneeling, crouching, or lifting computer hardware (CPU, monitors, printers, etc.), and eye strain from working with computers and other office equipment.
- Work involves the normal risks and discomforts associated with an office environment, may at times be in computer mainframe rooms, but are usually in an area that is adequately cooled, heated, lighted, and ventilated.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university required.
- Minimum of five (5) years work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A+ Certification or Microsoft certifications preferred.
- Experience with Avaya Phone systems preferred.
- Willingness to travel to various Houston Housing Authority locations.
- Must have supported 100+ users in the past.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Valid Texas driver’s license or obtain such within the first thirty (30) days of employment. Must have personal vehicle.
- Eligibility for coverage under Houston Housing Authority fleet auto insurance.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.