SALARY: $22.86 - $26.29 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
This position is open until filled; however, to ensure consideration applications should be received by October 15, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA) is currently recruiting for an Accounting Technician to work in the Finance Department located in Tukwila, Washington. This role performs intermediate technical work maintaining and processing financial transactions, entering, verifying and checking financial records, reconciling accounts, maintaining files and records, preparing general financial reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Finance Manager.
As a critical component in achieving the mission of the Authority, our Finance Department is committed to working collaboratively across the agency to ensure that timely and accurate financial data is available whenever needed to support all housing programs and opportunities.
KCHA is the largest provider of affordable housing in the Pacific Northwest and a nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. To learn more about KCHA and our Mission visit this link.
Key responsibilities of the Accounting Technician include:
- Provides administrative, bookkeeping and accounting support by performing a wide variety of tasks including reconciliations, preparation of reports, processing of checks and direct deposits for Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Housing Assistance Payments and Utility Reimbursement Payments; upload of bank reconciliation data to banking system and monitor daily positive pay and exception items; process stop payments and prepares void check requests.
- Records HCV cash receipts and tenant retro payments; verifies the accuracy of payments and posts changes to tenant accounts; update monthly retro worksheet; and prepare, print and mail tenants’ retro statements.
- Reconciles HCV portability accounts receivable and issue monthly statements to other housing authorities.
- Prepares monthly transactions, reconciliations, and adjustments related to the Public Housing Family Self-Sufficiency program.
- Responds to owners’ inquiries; provides property owners with a high degree of customer service by retrieving records and updating account information.
- Enters data into the general ledger system and checks for accuracy of entries; assists with month-end and year-end closings in the Authority’s housing management software.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- Three (3) years of experience working with accounting data OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to:
- Plan the operations of various diverse accounting function, use independent judgment.
- Utilize automated accounting systems, understand and accurately use the Authority's Chart of Accounts, make accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Prepare clear, concise and complete financial documents, statements and reports excellent communications, and organizational skills;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Authority management, employees, HUD representatives, vendors, regulatory agency administrators, auditors, landlords, property specialists, and the general public.
- Demonstrates experience maintaining records (manual and electronic) and performing data entry with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Understands technical aspects of the position by keeping up-to-date on the technical and procedural aspects.
- Ability to interpret and explain applicable state and federal regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to think critically and creatively to interpret data and make conclusions; will question and search for answers; evaluates ideas and information and develops ideas that lead to action.
- Strong organizational skills including prioritizing, ensuring accuracy, multi-tasking, and handling interruptions appropriately; ensuring assignments are completed in a timely and effective manner.
- Clearly and effectively communicates both verbally and in writing by actively listening and sharing relevant information.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to place a high priority on professional excellence and manage stress appropriately.
- Exercises independent judgment using analysis, experience, and perspective in solving problems or communicating decisions or actions.
- Values diversity and possesses an understanding of multicultural and cultural competencies; ability to work effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A collaborative team member with ability to develop effective working relationships; works cooperatively, exchanges ideas, and addresses issues in a constructive manner.
- Demonstrates flexibility and openness to change and commitment to continuous improvement as part of a dynamic work environment; ability to handle multiple interruptions.
- Proficiency using MS Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, database software, and other analytical software programs.
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
- Consent to and pass credit and criminal records background check.
- Position will require occasional travel off-site for KCHA business needs.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $22.86 - $26.29 per hour (dependent upon qualifications). Performance based merit increase opportunities and COLAs are reviewed on an annual basis. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, reduced tuition, and retirement benefits are also available.
Physical Work Environment
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Incumbents frequently use standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone and related equipment. Work entails high volume processing with tight deadlines. The incumbent will occasionally travel off-site on behalf of the Agency to complete banking responsibilities.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Accounting Technician | Job Details tab | Career Pages (governmentjobs.com)