As one of the most highly regarded housing authorities in the United States, and the largest provider of affordable housing in the Pacific Northwest, KCHA continues to do excellent work toward achieving our vision.
Reaching for such an important goal means that we must have mission focused leaders, intent on moving the organization forward. The Authority has an exceptional opportunity for a strong and seasoned professional to join the organization as Director of Housing Initiatives for our Central Applications Center (CAC) in Shoreline, Washington. The CAC is the first contact experience between KCHA and housing applicants. It is essential to establish positive relationship from the beginning for future success of the applicant/tenant and the Housing Authority relationship.
The Director is responsible for ensuring program compliance for numerous HUD funded programs including Moving to Work (MTW) Public Housing, MTW Project Based Section 8 (PBS8) and non-MTW Public Housing (Sedro-Woolley Housing Authority). In addition to managing over 81 waiting lists and ensuring applicants are placed on the waiting lists correctly and pulled for housing in the proper order to maintain program integrity, the Director collaborates with Regional Managers and their teams regarding training on the applications process. Responsibilities also include ensuring compliance regarding associated policies and procedures; providing reports, and serving as CAC point of contact for internal and external partners as needed.
The ideal candidates will:
- Have a strong background in affordable housing including an in depth understanding of laws, rules and regulations, policies and procedures related to HUD’s housing programs;
- Be a strong leader who communicates a sense of mission and vision, backed by the ability to establish and accomplish goals and objectives. Demonstrates a proven track record or delivering results and improving program efficiencies for applicants and staff;
- Be collaborative and strategic thinkers with an ability to see the larger picture as well as the smaller tasks to ensure CAC success;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills in order to establish and nurture relationships with internal and external stakeholders (Washington State Patrol, FBI) and staff;
- Have demonstrated success working in a diverse environment community, have a commitment to low-income and special needs families and bring an unquestioned integrity to the position. Top candidates will thrive in a strong team environment.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA) is the largest provider of affordable housing in the Pacific Northwest and a nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. To learn more about KCHA and our Mission visit this link.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor's Degree AND
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in affordable housing programming OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervisory experience and effective supervisory skills to include coaching and mentoring to support employees in achieving Authority and individual goals; demonstrated ability to provide strong leadership in a dynamic, highly regulated work environment.
- In depth knowledge of complex public housing issues, trends, principles, practices, and/or other applicable regulated housing programs and Authority policies and procedures.
- Communicates plans and activities with leadership, colleagues, and subordinates in a manner that supports strategies for involvement and accomplishment of mission and outcomes; applies effective written and oral communication techniques to convey clear and timely messages; strong presentation skills.
- Analyzes problems, identifies solutions, and articulates possibilities and recommendations; demonstrates critical, creative, and reflective thinking.
- Utilizes excellent time management and problem solving techniques, and use of professional judgment in complex situations.
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities; responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member to develop effective working relationships; works cooperatively, exchanges ideas, and addresses issues in a constructive, collaborative manner.
- Values open-mindedness, inclusion, multicultural perspective and multiple ways of knowing, thinking, and being; helps create a work environment that embraces and appreciates diversity; values organizational diversity; treats others with respect; promotes cooperation.
- Strong level of knowledge with budget development, planning, analysis, and tracking.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and the Internet.
- Consent to and pass criminal record background check.
- Must possess a valid driver's license to travel between work sites as required. Must have an acceptable driving record at time of appointment and throughout employment.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The hiring salary range of this position is $87,501.08 - $102,266.89 annually. Performance based merit increase opportunities and COLAs are reviewed on an annual basis. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, tuition reimbursement, and retirement benefits are available.
Physical Work Environment:
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with frequent travel between work sites. Incumbents frequently use standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone and related equipment and may drive a vehicle on Authority business.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.