DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves responsibility for the performance of standardized clerical tasks and the full-time or substantial part-time operation of a computer for the entry and retrieval of information using software to produce printed material such as letters, memoranda and forms. Specific duties vary with the needs of the department. Procedures are usually fixed but detailed instructions are given for new or difficult assignments. Work is reviewed by direct observation, checking completed work, periodic or spot checks, cross-checking or other steps in the clerical process.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Receives and organizes work to be processed determining document format;
- Prepares correspondence, documents, records and other written material in final or draft form using handwritten, rough drafts, marked copy, oral recordings or data from various equipment as the source material;
- Proofreads and corrects work producing accurate, clean and complete prepared copy;
- Prepares, stores and retrieves lists and documents;
- Answers telephone and gives out routine information;
- Updates and stores department forms on a computer or word processor;
- Orders office supplies and maintains inventory of supplies and equipment;
- Sorts, date stamps and distributes mail and packages;
- Performs routine equipment maintenance tasks;
- Serves as receptionist and greets clients and/or visitors;
- Maintains alphabetic, numeric and/or chronological files of correspondence, documents and materials by coding and filing new material, searching for requested material and periodically purging obsolete material;
- Schedules meetings and appointments;
- May collect fees and account for monies received;
- May prepare and maintain time records and payroll data;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Working knowledge of modern office terminology, procedures, equipment and business English;
- Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and databases at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed;
- Ability to set up appropriate forms, charts and other tabular listings;
- Ability to perform close, detail work involving considerable visual effort and concentration;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to maintain neat and legible records;
- Ability to promote, represent and uphold the values and integrity of AlbanyHousing Authority;
- Good judgment;
- Tact and courtesy;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(A)Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s Degree(or higher): OR
(B)Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’sDegree and two (2) years of full time, paid clerical experience which involved typing duties; OR
(C)Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and four (4) years of full-time, paid clerical experience which involved typing duties.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS AS OUTLINED ABOVE. THIS POSITION IS A COMPETITIVE CLASS CIVIL SERVICE POSITION THAT MAY BE FILLED ON A PROVISIONAL BASIS PENDING THE OUTCOME OF THE CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION.
Interested candidates should submit completed applications and resumes directly to:
AHA Career Center:
Or by mail
200 South Pearl Street
Albany, NY 12202
Attn: Personnel Department